A life science company that helps pharmaceutical companies to develop and commercialize small molecule drugs was operating a complex production with global sales.
Increasing customer demand and a complex batch manufacturing environment was making it difficult to maintain high service levels. In addition, the production Planning & Scheduling process was both time consuming and tedious.
To improve Planning & Scheduling efficiency and accuracy, while also facilitating an effective procurement process and keeping inventory levels low.
A pre-study was carried out focusing on business benefits to make sure the business case would deliver the expected value return. This step also helped to engage key stakeholders at an early stage.
Once the new working processes and ownership were defined, configuration of the Planning & Scheduling solution began.
Preactor, the planning and scheduling software chosen by the customer, was configured to model the company’s new supply chain processes and was integrated with the ERP system. Changes to working methods were also introduced, including the coordination of activities between purchasing, planning, operations and finance.
- Clearly defined Sales & Operations planning process
- Faster planning procedure
- Improved planning precision
- Reduced changeover and cleaning times
- Increased visibility and flexibility
- Improved inventory control and synchronization of purchased material
- Greater possibilities for improvement